Wednesday 9 August 2017

Edinburgh: Day 4 & 5

Well it's better late than never.

So yesterday's shows were pretty interesting. Clash of the Tight Tens had a decent turnout and a more than decent lineup which pretty much kept the place laughing from start to finish. You get a feel for these things from the off and when I'd opened with Two Shots and the audience had sung along with way more of it than usual I figured we were on to a good thing. The bucket take was better than ever and the flyers flew out of the hands of those taking part and stood along the corridor at the end.

This show had been preceded by my appearance at the ultra-early 11am show, "The Full Irish", at Whistlebinkies. When I arrived at 10:50 the doors had yet to open and a massive crowd had formed ready to come in. By the time I hit the stage for ten minutes the room was heaving and people were very much up for joining in with the songs despite my lack of any obvious Irish connection. Flyers were duly handed out and several attendees did make an appearance at my solo show later in the day.

Before that happened though I guested on Aaron Simmonds show in the same room and sang at a small but cheerful bunch of attendees. Well worth checking out.

My own show was the best attended yet with 25 bums on seats. Granted a large proportion of this was made up of teenagers at the lower end of the 14+ minimum so the bucket wasn't that great but the energy was excellent. Anna and I jumped about with some keen abandon and we even got our first Twitter review. A good one I'm glad to say. 

It was the perfect way to wrap up the day before joining my father, his friend and my brother for some food and then a slightly dodgy cabaret show that shall not be named.

THE STATS:
Clash of the Tight Tens: Citizens / Donations: 18 / £56.84
Andy Quirk's Got First World Problems: Crew Members / Donations: 25 / £20

Today was my day off so Sonia Aste carried the standard for Tight Tens and I bumped into two people whilst passing through Black Market at 6pm I had to tell to to come back tomorrow as they'd come for First World Problems. My brother, Anna and I packed in a whole bunch of PBH shows, of which each and every one I would recommend highly:

Andy Onions: Powerpointless (Powerpoint based silliness)
Nick Hall: Spencer (Historical, hilarious)
Mojo and Fitz Let You In (3 stand-ups, 45 minutes well spent)
Ross Hepburn is Beetlejuiced'd (If you like the film...)
David McIver: Stop It David We Are Having Too Much Fun (Ridiculous, surreal, brilliant)

Tomorrow I return to Black Market, guest at a cabaret and have not one but two interviews (oooooh....)


No comments:

Post a Comment