Thursday 18 August 2016

4am Nu Metal Clubbing Party

I'll begin this blog a 12:05am on what was technically Wednesday morning. I am at a spoken word night called Raise the Bar and everyone in here is a poet. The place is packed solid and I'm beginning to wonder if I have any right to be on this bill.

"Please welcome to the stage, Andy quirk!" and I'm staring into the bright lights of the Banshee Labyrinth explaining myself. I choose "West End" as it's one of the few tracks that carries a narrative and we're away. The crowd go crazy for it and even though I can't see them in the gloom whenever I point the mic their way I get "I'M IN THE WEST END!" bellowed at me. Someone clicks their fingers during the second verse. Phew.

The rest of the show features poetry ranging from the heart rending to the extremely comic. The Loud Poets round it up nicely with a piece about how it's hard to stay big in a city full of hills.

Wednesday daytime featured just two shows with Comedy Shorts at lunchtime and Mirthquake in its usual slot. It looks like we have a crowd of 3 when 4:30 rolls around but there's a sudden rush and we have nine. One rendition of "1 Shot" later with the second row belting out the words and two more join us - maintaining our consistent double figure attendances and improving radically on last Wednesday's dip to six. 

This was James' final Mirthquake before heading home so after a meal with Mel, Dave and my mum we meet up at the City Cafe (pictured) for a night on the town. Opium appears to be the only place that stays open late with any people in it so by 1am we're in the upstairs room where I perform as part of Comedy Tapas. Gone are the seats of course and instead we have a nu metal night playing the hits of Linkin' Park and countless acts I'd completely forgotten about. The DJ doesn't know who Coal Chamber are though and claims to have already played Drowning Pool so it feels a bit incomplete. We briefly move to Espionage but it's three levels of empty rooms so it's back to the metal.

Come 4am Mel and I are eating pasties in my bedroom.

Shows Performed: 3 (31)
Bums on seats at Mirthquake: 11(225)
Money in the Mirthquake bucket: £12.80 (£291.60)
Steps walked according to my pedometer: 11,752 (240,102) 
CDs Remaining: 76

No comments:

Post a Comment