Saturday 1 April 2017

Epsom Playhouse Theatre



This evening I took a two hour journey across the city to perform at the Epsom Playhouse Theatre supporting Pete K Malley and his show about 21 years in teaching. As a nod to the comparatively professional vibe of the event (e.g. Not being in the back room of a pub and requiring actual tickets) I successfully experimented with baseball boots, skinny jeans and a distinctly urban t-shirt to go with the Leyton visor. Primark should be sponsoring my appearances.


Having taken in the sights of the town (a big clock and a TK Maxx) I met Pete in the theatre and sound checked the phone. 8pm rolled around and I ran on to my intro track and a sold out room of 100 people. Mainly older, mainly teachers, the crowd went for it with the enthusiasm reserved for education professionals starting their Easter break. 

Tales of the Unexpected and Craft Fair went down well and I indulged in a fair bit of crowd work. At the bar afterwards several people high-fived me with a "bip".

Pete and the other support act, The Monks, were well received to and the whole night had a pleasant vibe. There's a good chance my new track about DIY would work here. Outside of the central London bubble it's important to recognise your core audience have kids and are more likely to relate to tales of the supermarket than clubbing.

They also like their night to conclude by ten. Which is handy when you have an epic journey home in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment